Here’s a list of some of our favorite things to do, no matter what time of year you visit.
Anacortes is a great place to bring your family! From children to grandparents, the entire family can have an adventure on the island finding a wide assortment of things to do.
1. Take your family to one of our many Anacortes Park Sites! Storvik Park is on 32nd Street and has a playground, plus a sports and picnic area. The John and Doris Tursi Park, at 2200 Pennsylvania Avenue, is a neighborhood park with play equipment, a zip line and picnic tables.
2. Play Giant Chess or Giant Checkers at the Cap Sante Marina. At the marina, follow the railing south to the Harbormasters Office. There’s also several covered gazebos around the marina. They’re perfect places to sit, relax, and have an outdoor meal.
3. Bowl a strike or play arcade games at San Juan Lanes, 29th Street and Commercial Avenue.
4. Bring your dog to the Off Leash Dog Park, at H Avenue and 38th Street. If you’re traveling with your four legged friend, or are a local looking for places to bring your pooch, we’ve got a list of things to do for you!
5. Stop by the Senior Center and participate in an activity. There are meals available to purchase, cooking classes, art exhibits, painting classes, and so much more! Be sure to visit the website for an up-to-date online calendar.
6. Have a swim or workout at the Fidalgo Pool and Fitness Center. There are quite a few different things to do for all ages! Pool equipment includes a water slide, one meter diving board, Ollie the inflatable Octopus, life-jackets and inner tubes. Water fitness classes, lap swimming, the Thunderbird Aquatic Club, open swim and pool rentals are offered throughout the week.
7. Drive the scenic route around Fidalgo Island! Take Highway 20 to Sunset Avenue and over to Washington Park. Head back out and take Anaco Beach Road to Marine Drive and enjoy the southwest side of the island. Take Rosario Road further south, through Deception Pass Park, and take Highway 20 to Gibralter to go back up north.
8. Sign up for one of the Youth Activities classes being offered through the City of Anacortes.
9. Tour the historic W.T. Preston Snagboat and the adjacent Maritime Heritage Center, at 7th Street and R Avenue.
10. Visit the Anacortes Public Library for story time, Lego building sessions, and musical performances. Sign up for their newsletter and learn about special events – some of the past ones have been a Harry Potter night, and visits from an Astronaut!